Monday, May 14, 2007

Evan is a Catholic!

(Warning: This is a long post)
We started at the baptismal font. Sharon, Evan's godmother, is holding him. Tim, his godfather, is beside them. Cole came up to check out the "dress"


Mike tracing the sign of the cross on Evan's forehead



Water! Evan was shocked at first, but didn't cry. It probably felt good since it was so hot outside.




Sharon, Evan, and Tim. About this time, he started responding to Fr. Chito. He was smiling and gooing and gaahing the Amens.



Evan getting his baptismal bib (being clothed in a while garment)



Fr. Chito blessing Evan's mouth and ears. Mike loves this picture because Evan was paying close attention.


Mike, Fr. Chito, Evan, and me. We were all looking different directions. There's no telling why.


With the godparents



Our family! Cole, Jeremy, Christina, Lola, Tim, Mike, Fr. Chito, Evan, me, Sharon, Nana Jackie, and Grandpa Dick



Evan's cake



On the couch are Al and Julie Ciccone. They bought Evan his baptism outfit. We are so grateful to them for their love, generousity, and help with everything! They also help me out with the wedding guild at church.



Almost bedtime. Both of them were so sleepy after their partying!


I had to post this because I'm not sporting the huge double chin in this picture. Sorry Christina!



Trouble!



Evan and Grandpa Dick playing with a firetruck from Daddy's collection




Closeup!

Yesterday, Evan was baptised on my first mother's day. Fr. Chito, the priest who convalidated our wedding in the Catholic church came back to Saint Monica's to celebrate the baptism. He has been at Christ the King in Buckhead for 4 months and yesterday was his first time back at our church. We had a private baptism and it was beautiful! Fr. Chito was so loving to us and to Evan and added a lot of personal touches during the baptism. It was a very joyous occasion. You can tell I was overjoyed because I never stopped smiling. I'm thrilled that my little boy is finally a full member of the Catholic Church.

Just a little background... After Mike and I married in September 2004, I started feeling guilty that we didn't marry in the Catholic church. At the time, we weren't even going to church. I rebelled back during my college years. Mike and I found Saint Monica's based on recommendation from my mom that Fr. Chito would probably work with us and marry us, eventually. Fr. Chito convalidated our marriage on July 2, 2005 and in preparation for that marriage, we were paired up with Tim and Sharon, our sponsor couple. It was a match made in heaven! Sharon and I are both very outgoing and Tim and Mike are both very reserved and happy to let their wives chat.

When Evan was still "baking" we asked Tim and Sharon to be his godparents. They were such great examples of the Catholic faith that we knew they would be perfect godparents to Evan. They definitely love him as much as anyone and we are so lucky to have them in our lives. We will treasure their friendship and love always.

After the baptism, we all came over to our house and ate steaks, chicken, eggrolls, veggie casseroles, and tons of dessert (thanks to Mom/Lola, Christina, and Mike). People actually eat when I don't cook! We had a great time visiting and sent Fr. Chito back home with some eggrolls for later. He had such a good time that he has already thrown his hat in the ring to baptise our next baby. We'll be taking him up on that offer.

I want to tell everyone again, Happy Mother's Day! I hope your day was as special as mine was!

Thanks also to my mom, Fr. Chito, Dick, Jackie, Christina, Jeremy, Cole, Julie, Al, Tim, and Sharon for sharing Evan's day with us. We will never forget it!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love all the baptism pictures. He was really paying close attention. God Bless you guys!!

Andrea said...

Those are all really great pics Tara. I like the outfit you wore during the ceremony. I know you are glad he is finally bapized-Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome post! I really enjoyed that. your pictures are great. my fave is the one of you all looking in different directions! that's a great picture and you look gorgeous! glad the day turned out so well. Congrats to baby Evan!!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous family! I love the pics. Evan looks like he was definitely taking it all in!

Chris said...

Congratulations Evan! I'm so glad everything went so nicely for you with the Baptism. I know you were thrilled to have Fr. Chitto. I can tell by your smiles you had a great day. You all looked great and Evan certainly looked like he was paying attention! I just wish we could have been in two places at once!

Katy S. said...

It looked like the perfect day for all of you. I am so happy for all of you. Evan looked super cute! Tara your are super hot.

Becky said...

Great pictures! I agree--the one of the blessing is spectacular!

I know you are so happy now that Evan is a true member of the Church. Congratulations on this blessed event!

Anonymous said...

Tara & Mike: Thank you so much for the honor of being Evan's grandparents. We feel blessed to have been part of such a wonderful experience, and look forward to sharing many more happy events with you both and with Evan in the future.