Monday, December 04, 2006

To breathe or not to breathe

Evan has been practicing his breathing on ultrasound the past 4 weeks and he's been doing such a good job. He needs to keep it up though and improve really fast. He can come early on his own if he wants to, I won't object. If he comes on his own, it will just mean that his lungs are ready. I will probably have an amniocentesis in a few weeks to check his lungs and it scares the heck out of me. I don't want him to come if he isn't healthy enough but his size also concerns me. The doctors are definitely going to do what's best for him and me but there is so much to figure out in the next two weeks. The results of the amnio will determine if he arrives a few days before Christmas or a few days after.
On another note, the ultrasound tech said that he has a lot of hair. She didn't say it just one time either. By the way the ultrasound techs sometimes talk, it makes me believe that by the time he gets here, he'll weigh 20 lbs and have a pony tail! I can't wait to really see and meet him. Let's hope that he keeps developing his lungs!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I should tell you that weight is hard to predict even on ultrasound. I think it is accurate within 2 lbs! So if they guess a 7lb baby it could really be 5 lbs!?!?! Mine told me a few days before David was born he was AT LEAST 8 lbs. maybe more. Nope he was 7lbs 4.5 oz. at birth

Amanda said...

Hey Tara - I am friend of Andrea's Bethany's and Katie's! Don't worry girl. Things will be fine! I had an ameno. done at 37 weeks and - they did a C-section the next day! Davis was more than ready to come out! They also told me he was already 9 lbs. at 37 weeks and he was 7lbs. 13 ounces when he was born! You are in our prayers1 I know it is all just so exciting and nerve racking at the same time!

Anonymous said...

The first thing anybody says when they meet Laney is "Wow, look at all that hair!" At least we know she'll have something in common with her cousin.

Next - don't listen to the ultrasound techs. My last ultrasound tech tried to convince me that my due date was 9-15 (a week after the doctor said) and that would make the baby normal size instead of big. She used some kind of weird math I haven't heard of. If the baby was supposed to be big for a 9-7 due date, wouldn't that mean she's huge for 9-15?