Monday, March 19, 2007

Bye Bye Bessie the Cow

My alter ego leaves me today. From this point forward I am no longer a dairy cow that I've aptly named (myself), Bessie. I pumped for 14 weeks and it just wasn't meant to be for this baby. It was a struggle to begin with and has been ever since. On one hand, I feel sad that Evan will only get formula from now on and on the other hand, I feel like this....



I will now get to sleep around the same time Evan does and there will be less bottle washing. I will miss my chic blue and brown pump bag but it was heavy! I can throw out the Reglan that didn't help and go back to Proactiv for my face and a few other things. I might stay off the caffine though, I don't miss it that bad.


When I look at everything in perspective, I am so lucky to have my healthy, happy Evan. God has blessed Mike and me with the best gift in the world. So, bye bye Bessie, see you in a year or two when Evan's brother or sister gets here.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

I used to laugh every time I saw a "Got milk" bumper sticker on the back of dairy farm trucks. I would think to myself, "why yes, yes I do". Bye, bye Bessie!

Katy S. said...

A bittersweet good bye I am sure. 14 weeks was great. Now you know what all is involved for the next one.

Chris said...

Oh my GOSH...that's hysterical. Where did you find that dancing cow!? Good for you for going as long as you did with as much trouble as you had! Pat your self on the back mom!
The pic of Evan in the saucer is adorable. I can't believe he is that big already!

Becky said...

Girl, I can't believe you pumped 14 weeks! That takes a lot of resolve...very impressive. Speaking from experience (I nursed both mine for 6 mos.), I was always a little weepy when I decided to make the switch (hormones for sure), but once the break was made, it was like "good riddance!" I never missed it and never looked back. You've done really well pumping for this long and you shouldn't have any regrets--formula can be a godsend.

Tara said...

I can't believe I didn't throw in the towel earlier too. I guess you make all kinds of sacrifices for your children. Thanks to all of you for your support during all of my feeding woes!

Anonymous said...

girl, those pictures of the cows were a riot! well, i too, give you much props for your pumpimg. i didn't breastfeed, but i certainly respect any woman that has that dedication and commitment to it! you done good, girl. and that baby is too cute for words!

Anonymous said...

Your dancing cow sent me into hysterics. I have never wanted to breast feed if I do have kids but seeing my cousin go through it I certainly have some MAJOR respect for anyone who does. Your little guy Evan is adorable!!!

Erin Kathleen said...

I can't believe you pumped for 14 weeks! I'm totally impressed. We're trying to start weaning Lana to a sippy with whole milk these days and it's a PITA!! You did an amazing job pumping for as long as you did. Hell, all any of us is doing is the best we can, right?