Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Performing Minor Surgery

I celebrated about my "healing" just a little too early. The steri-strips were on/over my wound for 35 hours, give or take. Just a few minutes ago, before I sat down to blog, I couldn't take the itching and pain from the steri-strips any longer. I consulted with my Mom since she's a nurse, and because Mike didn't answer his phone (cause he's working), and she advised me to take the strips off and pack the wound myself. I've actually done this once before, just a few nights ago, when Mike and I were having a little bitty disagreement. I was in the wrong.

Now let me tell you how easy this one was. It may be too much information, but this is all the material I have to blog about tonight! If it's too much, imagine you have this wound on the back of your lower leg. First you have to stand in the shower and spray the wound out. Then you realize that you probably missed the thing altogether because you couldn't see it and you line the bathroom floor with towels so you can try again in front of the mirror. After that you have to take a Q-tip and try your darndest not to hurt yourself as you pack it with as much 1/2 inch gauze that you can. After this, you (if you're playing along)/I am able to walk without the irritation those stupid little plastic steri-strips caused and they weren't even sticking that well.

I don't know how much longer my wound saga will continue but I'll take this over the irritation. Tomorrow morning, we hit the road to Valdosta. It will be Evan's first car ride over an hour. Hopefully he will sleep the entire 3 1/2-4 hours. If not, I don't blame him.... I start to cry in a car over 2 hours myself. At least the trip will create good, if not better, blogging material than my surgical skills.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

GEEZ! I guess pricking your finger several times a day to get your blood-sugar may have prepared you for this. I will be praying for your healing.

Becky said...

AAAHHH! Like I said before, I cannot wrap my mind around this!! I really REALLY hope you get all healed up SOON.

Anonymous said...

yeah, i am like becky, i am trying to picture this wound and what it would be like to pack it. better having a wound there i think, than where i had my childbirth wound!! haha! it will heal soon, girl! i just know it! hang in there! and i can't wait to hear about your trip!

Tara said...

It's not a big deal, just all the material that I had! Soon enough it will all be better. Thanks for your good wishes and prayers!